Sunday, July 31, 2011

Birthday!

Birthdays were a bit different for the kids this year. In the past, we've decorated a venue outside of the house and had large-ish parties. This year our venue wasn't available and we decided we wanted to do something different anyway.

So we had a little cook-in (no "out" due to the burn ban in droughty Oklahoma) with just the kids grandparents, first cousins, and a little friend or two.

I had a lot of fun planning the details. I may or may not have spent around three hours hand-crafting that custom birthday banner. I'll never tell.


You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a decent cake kit for The Cat In The Hat! But I made do by scanning photos from the book and printing and laminating them with sucker sticks inserted to hold them on the cake. I had to use a skewer for The Cat -- cake sticks were too short!

I used scrapbooking paper cut into strips (1" x 3" if you're interested) to wrap the little candy bars in a Seuss-ish theme. I added round Cat In The Hat themed stickers to the front of each bar, but the photo doesn't show those.

Please try not to laugh at my first attempt at using fondant. Our cake decorator was not available (and she is awesome!).

I made their applique t-shirts with fabric from etsy and t-shirt/onesie from Hobby Lobby. You wouldn't believe how easy!

Annika's Thing One & Thing Two hair accessory and tutu were Mama creations and Micah's hat came from Amazon. We had so much fun with the theming!



Micah was so delighted to have the cat placed on his cake during cutting time.


Mandi took photos for me -- I stumbled across this one on my card and liked it. <3



Too bad Micah didn't enjoy himself.


After cake was duly devoured, AJ had a bath and enjoyed tromping around outside in only her diaper during the water games.



Thing One didn't take his hat off once! I love this photo. The droopy birthday hat just demonstrates the reckless fun he was having, sitting in the water balloon tub and just having a great time with his buddies!


Oh and when it comes to water-games? Don't mess with aunties. Their initial dryness does not mean they are not a force to be reckoned with, as Christopher learned!

It was a nice, simple little celebration. Food, cake, and a water fight. The kids welcomed their baths and beds after all of their exhausting fun.

(Hi to my new readers, do leave a comment and say hello!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooooh, I love comments! :) Thanks for taking the time to let me know you came by! If you aren't sure how to comment just type in what you want to say and select Name/Url as your selected commenting profile -- you don't even have to type in a URL, just your first name! You can also use the "Anonymous" option and put your name at the end of your comment!